Obnoxious Droppings

A Former Sgt in the US Marines, US Army and Australian Federal Police - With an Attitude Problem - Looking at the Shits & Giggles of life from a Quasi-Conservative Point of View * * * WARNING! STRONG LANGUAGE FOLLOWS! * * *

06 June, 2006

For the Old Farts

If you're under about 45, you might as well skip this post, because it's doubtful you'll have any memories of these.

For the rest of the Geezer Patrol out there - the ones who laid down on the back deck of the family sedan waving at the cops while Dad drove the pre-freeway roads to summer vacation - here's a couple of questions.

Remember the Burma Shave signs? The only one that ever stuck in my mind was:
He lit a match
To check his tank
That's why we call him
Skinless
Frank
Burma Shave.
How about the rest of you? How many of the old rhymes can you remember? I'd love to hear from you!

Second, just down the street from me is an old Shell gas station:


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I also saw an old Sinclair station shaped like a green dinosaur on a Frontage Road off I-35 north of Oklahoma City back in 2001. Are there any more of these old stations still around? I'm pretty sure this Shell station is the last of it's type in the country but I could be wrong.


So let me know - any Burma Shave rhymes you remember or any of the old gas stations you know of. To me these are part of this country's past that's worth passing on to the kiddies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|