Obnoxious Droppings

A Former Sgt in the US Marines, US Army and Australian Federal Police - With an Attitude Problem - Looking at the Shits & Giggles of life from a Quasi-Conservative Point of View * * * WARNING! STRONG LANGUAGE FOLLOWS! * * *

19 July, 2007

I Don't Know What To Say

I received a letter in the mail from Sgt. Grit. It piqued my curiosity because I wasn't expecting anything - I've ordered a T-Shirt from his web site but that sure wouldn't come in a letter envelope.

Now, besides running his online store that sells "If Chesty Wouldn't Want It, We Don't Have It!", he puts out two newsletters. These are mostly Marine-related - future, current and Former Marine stories along with tales from spouses and other relatives. There are some letters from other branches, and both newsletters are mandatory reading. You can sign up for them at the web site above.

Back to the letter. Sgt Grit had a contest where you answered 4 fairly easy questions about Iwo Jima. I entered and thought no more about it. The questions (and answers) were:

1) What does Iwo Jima mean in English?
A) Sulfur Island

2) What Marine Medal of Honor recipient lost his life on Iwo Jima?
A) GySgt John Basilone received the Medal of Honor and was later KIA in the Battle of Iwo Jima. (Other Marines we accepted as answers were those awarded the MOH posthumously for their action on Iwo Jima: CPL Charles J. Berry, PFC William R. Caddy, Sgt Darrell S. Cole, Sgt Ross F. Gray, Plt Sgt Joseph R. Julian, PFC James D. La Belle, 1LT Jack Lummus, 1LT Harry L. Martin, PVT George Phillips, PFC Donald J. Ruhl, CPL Tony Stein, and GySgt William G. Walsh)

3) On what day was the flag flown over Mt. Suribachi?
A) Friday, February 23, 1945 or the 4th day

4) Where does the "black" sand come from?
A) The black sand is pulverized volcanic rock and ash.

When I opened the letter, it congratulated me on being one of the winners, and contained a small plastic bag of the Sacred Sand from Iwo Jima.

I was totally stunned. I will never open the bag, because I don't believe myself worthy to touch that soil. This is going to get framed and placed in a position of honor in my home. Anyone who knows me can feel free at any time to stop by and view this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|