Obnoxious Droppings

A Former Sgt in the US Marines, US Army and Australian Federal Police - With an Attitude Problem - Looking at the Shits & Giggles of life from a Quasi-Conservative Point of View * * * WARNING! STRONG LANGUAGE FOLLOWS! * * *

04 September, 2004

A Friend is Gone

A good man, and a good friend, is gone.

I met Dennis about 12 years ago. A friend that I went to high school with was married to a veteran, and they took me to a Veterans Convention. It was the first time in over 20 years that I was with veterans, and they accepted me unconditionally as a brother. For me, that first convention brought back waves of memories that I had cordoned off in my mind. Dennis was one of those who helped me through that.

My wife and I became regulars at those meetings and, since the group was the UAW Veterans Committee, I stayed far away from any politics. Dennis knew how I felt and respected that. A few years ago Dennis became Chairman of the Committee and, despite his regular job and other commitments, worked tirelessly for the veterans of all wars and eras.

Dennis was a Sailor who was proud of his service, proud of the Navy and proud of his country. He served four tours in Viet Nam but never talked about it. He would give you the shirt off his back or “jack you up” if he thought either was needed. Dennis was also a Harley rider for all of his adult life, which gave the opportunity for some pranks – like the time he was presented with a tricycle and a “Barbie” helmet at one of the meetings. He took with his usual humor and style.

A week ago Dennis and a few friends were riding near Olympia Fields, south of Chicago, when his bike went off the road and crashed. Dennis suffered broken arms, broken legs and multiple internal injuries. He finally succumbed to a heart attach yesterday morning.

Dennis was a man who knew exactly who and what he was, and had no problem with doing things like dressing up in a grass skirt and coconut bra to raise money for our military.

Above all, Dennis was a friend. I’ll miss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|