Obnoxious Droppings

A Former Sgt in the US Marines, US Army and Australian Federal Police - With an Attitude Problem - Looking at the Shits & Giggles of life from a Quasi-Conservative Point of View * * * WARNING! STRONG LANGUAGE FOLLOWS! * * *

14 July, 2004

School Racism?

My lovely wife and I were watching an article on the local news this morning about some people who were extremely upset with the Guildford County School Board (Greensboro, NC is located in Guildford County).

It seems that, over the last year, the number of Black students suspended for various infractions outnumbered White students by a margin of Four to One. As statistics go, this has the appearance of racism, but I would have a few questions before I made a blanket condemnation, as those folks who were at the board meeting were doing.

First, I would like to know what the make-up of the student bodies is, broken down by race. Silly of me, I suppose, but I think that might make a difference.

Second, what differences are there in the family situations between these students? Are there parents at home who care about their kids and push them to do good work, or are the children going home to either absentee parents or parents who fight or something worse? This could be a large reason for the suspension of ANY child.

Lastly, I think I would have to refer back to what Bill Cosby had to say earlier this month. If a Black student goes to school and applies themself diligently only to be accused of "Acting White", is teased and made fun of, then that child may decide that the only way to get some "Street Cred is to prove themself in the classroom in front of the other kids.

I have no idea if anything of what I've written applies in these cases, but I think an honest presentation of all sides of the issue should be made available instead of going to air with a sound bite.

Of course, I could be wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|