Obnoxious Droppings

A Former Sgt in the US Marines, US Army and Australian Federal Police - With an Attitude Problem - Looking at the Shits & Giggles of life from a Quasi-Conservative Point of View * * * WARNING! STRONG LANGUAGE FOLLOWS! * * *

10 September, 2008

Two Things on my Mind

First, to my mate Cityslicker in Houston, and all those along the Texas coast, our prayers are with you and I hope you have the brains to get the hell outta Dodge!

Now - the Large Hadron Collider, a 17 mile circle under France and Switzerland, is up and being tested. The physicists who've built this are hoping to accelerate photons to near light speed and by having them collide they might see what the universe was like mere nanoseconds after The Big Bang.

One thing that's been mentioned by scaremongers is the fear that this will create a Black Hole that will devour the planet - almost impossible. My worry is a little different.

According to current theory, right after the Big Bang, the universe was filled with matter and anti-matter. As they collided with each other, they were both annihilated, giving off incredible amounts of energy. That by itself is, to me, worth thinking about. But if particles of anti-matter happen to hit he sides of the collider, the results could be massive destruction - almost on the scale of a bomb.

I could be wrong - I hope to hell that I am - but I haven't heard anything from the collider operators that even takes this into consideration.

Besides, we don't need France anyway, do we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|